By nurturing youth, Rotarians can provide the skills young people need to succeed as future community leaders. Youth programs provide Rotarians the opportunity to develop their own leadership and communications skills and also provides for many incredible moments!
Youth Service Activities:
District 6490 is very active in the Rotary Youth Exchange program, which involves hosting international students in the U.S. and sending our local students to study abroad. These exchanges have a powerful, lasting impact on the students and host families alike. Learn more about Rotary Youth Exchange.
Outbound Program (US students studying abroad)
2017-2018 Outbound Students
- Abigail Harper from Gibson City to Finland
- Robert Steepleton from Tuscola to Germany
- Dylan Thomas from Villa Grove to Taiwan
Inbound Program (International students studying in Central IL)
2017-2018 Inbound Students
- Indianne Aarskog from Norway to Monticello
- Amanda Aedo Parra from Chile to Charleston
- Jordan Bechara from Argentina to B-N Sunrise
- Charlotte Donkers from Germany to Arthur
- Manon Fonelleras from France to Danville
- Filip Penzar from Croatia to Eureka
- Shintaro Sakaguchi from Japan to Marshall
- Rotary Youth Exchange Committee -- With the aid of designated club-level Youth Exchange Officers, this committee assists eligible high school students (Inbounds and Outbounds, 15-17 years of age 1 year prior to departure) in applying for and completing a year overseas as Rotary youth ambassadors representing their country, community and Rotary Club.
Chair: Terry Weir (Marshall), firstname.lastname@example.org
Interact is a service club for teens, and District 6490 has several Interact clubs – all affiliated with high schools:
- Bloomington High School - sponsored by Bloomington-Normal Daybreak Rotary
- Central Catholic High School, Bloomington – sponsored by Bloomington-Normal Sunrise Rotary
- University High School, Normal – sponsored by Bloomington-Normal Sunset Rotary
- Champaign Central High School – sponsored by Savoy and Champaign-Urbana Sunrise Rotary
- Champaign Centennial High School – sponsored by Champaign Rotary
- The High School of St. Thomas More – sponsored by Champaign West Rotary
- Charleston High School – sponsored by Charleston Rotary
- Clinton High School – sponsored by Clinton Rotary
- Gibson City High School – sponsored by Gibson City Rotary
- Litchfield High School – sponsored by Litchfield Rotary
- Mahomet-Seymour High School - sponsored by Mahomet Rotary
- Marshall High School – sponsored by Marshall Rotary
- Monticello High School – sponsored by Monticello Rotary
- Nokomis High School – sponsored by Nokomis Rotary
- Normal Community High School – sponsored by Normal Rotary
- Paris High School – sponsored by Paris Rotary
- Pontiac Township High School – sponsored by Pontiac Rotary
- Rantoul Township High School – sponsored by Rantoul Rotary
- Robinson High School – sponsored by Robinson Rotary
- Urbana High School – sponsored by Urbana Rotary
- Vandalia High School – sponsored by Vandalia Rotary
- Villa Grove High School - sponsored by Villa Grove Rotary
- Interact and Early Act Committee – This committee works with Rotary Clubs to implement and foster the development of Interact and Early Act Clubs.
Chair: Art Drake (Normal), email@example.com
Rotaract Clubs are service clubs for adults age 18-30. Most of the Rotaract Clubs in District 6490 are centered around colleges or universities, but we do have one community based Rotaract Club. Learn more information about Rotaract Clubs.
- Rotaract Committee – This committee works with Rotary Clubs to implement and foster the development of Rotaract Clubs and work with Rotaract Clubs to help them achieve their goals.
Chair: Nick Voss (Champaign West), firstname.lastname@example.org
RYLA is a weekend retreat where high school students learn about leadership and team-building. The teens work together in groups on projects as well. Learn more information about RYLA.
- Rotary Youth Leadership Award (RYLA) Committee
Chair: Roxanne Johnston (Rantoul), Roxanne.email@example.com
- District 6490 RYLA 2019
The camp dates are April 12-14, 2019
District 6490 RYLA Camp
c/o Roxanne Johnston
425 S. Garrard
Rantoul, IL 61866
Email address: Roxanne.firstname.lastname@example.org
Here are other District 6490 committees that help carry out the mission of Youth Service:
Global Grants and Peace Scholars – The District Scholarship Committee functions as a subcommittee of the Foundation Committee. It has the responsibility of recommending to the District Foundation Committee the types of scholarships the District offers.
Chair: Tom Hodson (Champaign West): email@example.com
Literacy and Education – This committee is responsible to work with clubs to implement local and international literay projects, continue to build a relationship between the clubs and the Illinois Reading Council, distribute Cardinal Care Funds and assist in any other items dealing with Literacy and Education.
Chair: Janet Ellis-Nelson (Champaign), firstname.lastname@example.org