By nurturing youth, Rotarians can provide the skills young people need to succeed as future community leaders. Youth programs provide Rotarians the opportunity to develop their own leadership and communications skills and also provides for many incredible moments!
Youth Service Activities:
District 6490 is very active in the Rotary Youth Exchange program, which involves hosting international students in the U.S. and sending our local students to study abroad. These exchanges have a powerful, lasting impact on the students and host families alike. Learn more about Rotary Youth Exchange.
Outbound Program (US students studying abroad)
2019-2020 Outbound Students
- Sadie Armstrong (Mattoon to Spain)
- Elaina Knecht (BN Sunrise to Germany)
- Molly Lammers (Champaign-West to Poland)
- Lindsey Ulrey (Charleston to Brazil)
Inbound Program (International students studying in Central IL)
2019-2020 Inbound Students
- Supisara Inthachak from Thailand to Champaign (West)
- Ryo Karino from Japan to B-N Sunrise
- Marta Martí Guillén from Spain to Arthur
- Walter Monteiro Ribeiro Jr. from Brazil to Charleston
- Emili Prietch Falca Pagno from Brazil to Urbana
- Doris Radnic from Croatia to Eureka
- Matias Sanchez De Agustin from Chile to Marshall
- Federico Sartori from Italy to Danville
- Rotary Youth Exchange Committee -- With the aid of designated club-level Youth Exchange Officers, this committee assists eligible high school students (Inbounds and Outbounds, 15-17 years of age 1 year prior to departure) in applying for and completing a year overseas as Rotary youth ambassadors representing their country, community and Rotary Club.
Chair: Terry Weir (Marshall)
Interact is a service club for teens, and District 6490 has several Interact clubs – all affiliated with high schools:
- Central Catholic High School, Bloomington – sponsored by Bloomington-Normal Sunrise Rotary
- University High School, Normal – sponsored by Bloomington-Normal Sunset Rotary
- Champaign Central High School – sponsored by Savoy and Champaign-Urbana Sunrise Rotary
- Champaign Centennial High School – sponsored by Champaign Rotary
- The High School of St. Thomas More – sponsored by Champaign West Rotary
- Charleston High School – sponsored by Charleston Rotary
- Clinton YMCA Excel Club – sponsored by Clinton Rotary
- Gibson City - Melvin - Sibley Club– sponsored by Gibson City Rotary
- Hoopeston High School - sponsored by Hoopeston Rotary
- Mahomet-Seymour High School - sponsored by Mahomet Rotary
- Marshall High School – sponsored by Marshall Rotary
- Monticello High School – sponsored by Monticello Rotary
- Normal Community High School – sponsored by Normal Rotary
- Paris High School – sponsored by Paris Rotary
- Pontiac High School - sponsored by Pontiac Rotary
- Prairie Central High School - sponsored by Fairbury Rotary
- Rantoul Township High School – sponsored by Rantoul Rotary
- Robinson High School – sponsored by Robinson Rotary
- Schlarman High School - sponsored by Danville Sunrise Rotary
- Sullivan High School - sponsored by Sullivan Rotary
- Urbana High School – sponsored by Urbana Rotary
- Vandalia Community High School – sponsored by Vandalia Rotary
- YILA - sponsored by Decatur Rotary
- Interact and Early Act Committee – This committee works with Rotary Clubs to implement and foster the development of Interact and Early Act Clubs.
Chair: Art Drake (Normal)
Rotaract Clubs are service clubs for adults age 18-30. Most of the Rotaract Clubs in District 6490 are community based, one is centered around a university:
Douglas Country Rotaract
19-20 Co-Presidents: Carly McCrory and Mallory Okoli
Sponsor Club: Tuscola
Meeting Time: As-Needed for events
College-based: University of Illinois
19-20 President: Jessica Nicholson
Sponsor Clubs: Urbana and Champaign West
Liaisons: Mike Murphy (Urbana), Nick Voss (Champaign West), Gerry Smith (Champaign West)
Meeting Time: Wednesdays at 5:30 in 292 Animal Science Lab on UIUC campus
Champaign County Rotaract
19-20 President: Maghan Moslander
Sponsor Club: Champaign West
Liaisons: Nick Voss, Gerry Smith
Meeting Time: Every other Tuesday, Location varies, See FB/Email
Rotaract Club of Bloomington Normal
18-19 President: Jamie Rockhold
Sponsor Club: Bloomington Normal Sunrise
Liaison: Brian Shoemaker
Meeting Time: See FB for events - 3rd Wednesday at 5:30 @ Community Healthcare Clinic as monthly general meeting
- Rotaract Committee – This committee works with Rotary Clubs to implement and foster the development of Rotaract Clubs and work with Rotaract Clubs to help them achieve their goals.
Chair: Nick Voss (Champaign West)
District 6490 Rotaract Facebook Discussion group:
EarlyAct is a service club for elementary or middle school/junior high age students. The sponsoring Rotary club members act as facilitators, role models, and mentors to the EarlyAct Club members. A faculty sponsor is also highly recommended for club success. EarlyAct engages students in character-building activities and prepares them for leadership roles by identifying and carrying out service projects that benefit their school, local and global communities.
- EarlyAct Committee - This committee can provide assistance and materials to help clubs establish their own EarlyAct Club.
Chair: Janet Ellis-Nelson (Champaign)
RYLA is a weekend retreat where high school students learn about leadership and team-building. The teens work together in groups on projects as well. Learn more information about RYLA.
- Rotary Youth Leadership Award (RYLA) Committee
Chair: Roxanne Johnston (Rantoul)
- District 6490 RYLA 2020
The camp dates are April 17-19, 2020
Early Registration Deadline is February 28th
Regular Registration Deadline is March 17th
The cost is $165 per attendee ($10 discount if registered by early deadline).
District 6490 RYLA Camp
c/o Roxanne Johnston
425 S. Garrard
Rantoul, IL 61866
Here are other District 6490 committees that help carry out the mission of Youth Service:
Global Grants and Peace Scholars – The District Scholarship Committee functions as a subcommittee of the Foundation Committee. It has the responsibility of recommending to the District Foundation Committee the types of scholarships the District offers.
Chair: Tom Hodson (Champaign West)
Literacy and Education – This committee is responsible to work with clubs to implement local and international literay projects, continue to build a relationship between the clubs and the Illinois Reading Council, distribute Cardinal Care Funds and assist in any other items dealing with Literacy and Education.
Chair: Janet Ellis-Nelson (Champaign)